The RSPCA estimates that 45% of dogs in the UK show signs of fear or anxiety when they hear fireworks. With Bonfire night and festive season celebrations almost upon us, it’s important to take steps in advance to keep your dog as calm and relaxed as possible.
Here are some tips to help calm your pooch:
- Walk your dog during daylight hours to avoid times when fireworks are likely to be set off, which can be early evening
- Close windows and curtains to reduce firework noise
- Put on some music or tv to mask the sound of the fireworks
- Create a quiet space in your home where your dog enjoys being and feels safe
- Give him his favourite treats or toys to occupy him
If your dog is especially anxious about fireworks or other loud noises i.e. thunder, it may be worthwhile thinking about different techniques or products to help keep them calm and relaxed. What you choose largely depends on the severity of the anxiety your dog has and it may be that sessions of behavioural therapy or sound therapy will be beneficial.