We all want to tackle the problem of fleas and ticks naturally, without resorting to harsh chemical treatments, which can be highly toxic for your dog. The best way to do this is to repel the parasites, rather than treat your dog unnecessarily.
Below gives a little information about the chemicals used in flea & tick treatments and the side effects that they can cause. Obviously, if your dog does have these types of parasites, it is important to eradicate them as soon as possible, and chemical treatments may be your only option in the first instance.
Many flea & tick treatments contain ‘isoxazolines’ which basically block the nerve signals in the parasite, paralysing and killing them. When you give your dog isoxazolines, they work systemically which means that they’re absorbed into your dogs bloodstream and affect their entire body. When fleas and ticks feast on your dog’s blood they eat the chemicals, become paralysed, and die. It has been researched that neurological damage can occur when using drugs in the isoxazoline class; muscle tremors, impaired movement, lack of coordination and seizures.
Other treatments contain active ingredients called ‘acaricides’ which are used solely to prevent flea and tick bites and infestations. Acaricides are pesticides which are poisonous to ticks and mites - and your dog!
Flea & tick collars contain neurotoxins, endocrine disruptors and immunosuppressants that use the process of attacking the central nervous system to kill the parasite, however, systemically, affect your dogs own nervous system in the process.
Below are some of the symptoms that can occur when using any of these types of flea & tick treatments.
* Stumbling, falling, lack of coordination
* Loss of appetite
* Skin irritations
* Kidney/liver damage
* Thyroid damage
Fact is, if your dog doesn’t have fleas or ticks present, he doesn’t need continual chemical treatments and the toxins that come with them.
Once fleas and ticks are under control, we suggest keeping them off your dog using a natural, safe and toxic free alternative, such as Proflax Keep off Me!
Keep off Me! is a safe and effective flea and tick repellent and is designed to be added to your dogs regular food, once daily. Keep off Me! is in concentrated tincture form and contains natural ingredients Neem, Lemon Balm, Peppermint, Ginger, Garlic, Fenugreek and Seaweed. The combination of these herbs all have a powerful effect when taken as an oral supplement. They are ingested into your dogs system and emit an odour that fleas, ticks (and mites!) hate! Simply put, they won’t jump or latch on or set up home in your dogs fur!
Keep off Me! tincture is available in 2 sizes; 100ml @ £15.95 and 250ml @ £25.95. The daily feeding amount is 0.2ml per 2kg of dogs weight, so a 10kg dog would need just 1ml per day which works out to .16p per day when purchasing a 100ml bottle and just .10p per day for a 250ml bottle.
Find out more about Keep off Me! here