Our dogs are constantly exposed to environments, substances and stressors that can compromise their health and wellbeing. Below lists a few:
- Whether you live in the city or the country, pesticides can be difficult to avoid as they are readily sprayed on fields and crops as a matter of course.
- Many dogs live a relatively boring and inactive lifestyle and that can lead to stress and health issues.
- Dogs are exposed to viruses, bacteria and parasites from all types of surroundings.
The key to a healthy dog is not to keep him at home and avoid these immune stresses – the best option is to keep his immune system in top working condition so he can quickly and effectively fight disease when it strikes.
Feeding a natural, fresh, whole diet including lots of meat and bone is an important step, as is being careful about choices concerning vaccinations, drugs, worm medications and topical flea and tick products.
Beyond that, there’s still much you can do to boost the immune system in healthy dogs, or to restore it in dogs with immune challenges.
The conventional medical approach has been to use expensive, proprietary drugs, including concentrated cytokines such as interleukin and interferon. ‘Alternative’ healers, on the other hand, have adopted a more nuanced approach using natural substances which help to:
- Stimulate and strengthen the immune system
- Fight infection
- Strengthen tissue against assault by invading microorganisms
- Stimulate macrophage capability
- Increase T-cell production and protect helper T-cells
- Complement the action of interferon and interleukin-1
- Promote increased production of cytokines
- Assist the cell-mediated immune response
World-leading nutraceutical researcher Jon Barron, writer of the ‘Anatomy and Physiology of the Immune System’ gives a list of natural immune boosting supplements that can be added to your dog’s diet to boost immune health, two of which are Echinacea and Astralagus. These two amazing power herbs have been added to Proflax’s Wellbeing & Vitality blend which will help to keep your dog’s immune system strong.