Bone & Joint Problems in Dogs
Bone, joint and cartilage problems in dogs are a common concern. Whether young or old, problems can occur because of breed type, accident, diet or lifestyle.
Osteoarthritis is the most common bone problem in dogs. As your dog ages, inflammation develops due to constant wear and tear on the shock-absorbing protective cartilage covering the ends of the bones. The worn cartilage allows the underlying bones to come into contact with one another, causing pain and stiffness. While this is usually thought of as a large breed problem, it occurs in all breeds as they age. Clinical signs include stiffness when moving around and getting up and down, as well as lameness following exercise.
Conventional medicines such as NSAIDs can be helpful but can have side effects when used long-term, such as ulcers or kidney/liver disease. Natural remedies should be the main therapy for dogs with bone & joint conditions which can include herbs, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, acupuncture, homoeopathy, massage and hydrotherapy. These natural alternatives can not only serve as a treatment for bone problems but also often slow down the progression of bone and joint diseases. Weight loss is also critical for overweight dogs.
- While all dog breeds can develop bone problems, larger breeds are particularly prone. The exact cause is unknown but it is thought that genetics and environment can play a role
- Dogs with bone problems such as hip dysplasia can pass on the genes causing this common problem to their puppies
- Dogs that are over-exercised or puppies pushed to grow too quickly can also develop problems with their bones and joints
- Chronic inflammation, which can arise from feeding low-quality diets or repeatedly vaccinating, can cause arthritis and other inflammatory conditions
- Regardless of the size or weight of your dog, most will develop arthritis as they age
To prevent problems, it is crucial that you feed your dog a natural balanced diet. Avoid drugs such as antacids (which take calcium from the bones) and excessive vaccinations. Regular exercise keeps bones and connective tissue strong.
Proflax Bone & Joint is a natural choice for any dogs with bone and joint problems. This formula contains high levels of essential fatty acids and selects active herbs that help to promote bone density, aid flexibility & circulation and has natural analgesic properties. It is anti-inflammatory and is packed with antioxidants.
Bone & Joint is suitable for all breeds and puppies over the age of 8 weeks. If you have a breed prone to problems or a working dog, i.e., competes in agility or flyball, our Bone & Joint supplement is perfect as an ongoing preventative approach to keep their bones and joints strong and healthy.